Thursday, September 3, 2009

You're in Iceland? What?


So a little background for those of you who have no clue what I am actually doing in Iceland. This fall semester instead of beginning my junior year attending classes at Cornell University, I have instead opted to study abroad in Iceland for one semester. I initially chose to participate in the CELL (Center for Ecological Living and Learning) study abroad program for two main reasons : A. The entire program is geared toward environmental science majors, and I am essentially an environmental science major, though technically on paper my major reads as SNES (Science of Natural and Environmental Systems), and B. I would get to travel to Iceland! Not only is Iceland a highly industrialized, and prosperous (before the financial crisis) country, it is also a leader in renewable energy sources and technologies because it is literally a hotbed for geothermal activity. Iceland is also known for its pristine natural beauty, its rich viking history, and of course Bjork. How could I resist the opportunity, right? So anyway the CELL program is takes place at Solheimar, which is about an hours drive from Rekyjavik, the capital of Iceland. Solheimar is an eco-village that caters to people with special needs. Here I will be taking 5 classes including: Sustainability: Secrets of Sumplicity, Sustainability through Community, Global Warming, Crossroads Thinking, and Iceland Culture, History, and Language. I will also be going on weekly field trips, and participating in various arts and crafts workshops. Lastly throughout my 3 month stay, I am told that the emphasis will be on community and community building, so I am sure that during the week I will also be interacting with the residence of Solheimar as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment